Buy Online or Call: (800) 648-7239
High Quality Rechargeable Batteries, Battery Chargers, Flashlights, And Mobile Energy Products

Horizon Battery
1001 Lower Landing Rd Ste 101
Blackwood,NJ 08012
1-800-648-7239
Click to Verify
Official PayPal Seal
Horizon Battery is upfront
Bookmark and Share

Reasons Why It’s A Good Idea To Employ A Reconditioning Charger

As increasing numbers of families make the move to re-chargeable batteries, the call for excellent battery chargers will get more significant. What is the point of employing re-chargeable batteries in the event that you’re not able to accomplish optimum recycles from them? Let’s take into account, the true reason for utilizing rechargeable batteries to start with is to try to lower your expenses and save the earth from the extreme wastefulness of use-and-throw batteries.

So, how do you get the most from your nimh rechargeable batteries? I advise having a battery charger which will refresh or recondition the batteries. Before moving forward, I’ve already presumed you have chosen a high-quality, high-capacity re-chargeable battery like the Ansmann type. And, before I explore things to look for in a charger that reconditions, allow me to discuss what it’s not.

There are several battery chargers that offer a “discharge” process, which merely discharges the cell right down to a base level – generally around 1.0 Volts. This discharge concept was related to the use of Nickel Cadmium batteries and was fairly good at preventing “memory effect.” After discharging the cell, the battery would then be recharged back up to full charge. Despite the fact that sounds like an acceptable, clear-cut tactic, just discharging a battery does almost nothing in order to keep the chemistry with the nimh cell well balanced. As the nimh battery ages, it could develop “crystalline” creation inside of the cell. Even though this does not result in memory effect as seen using the older Ni-cad batteries, it will minimize what number of recycles you can acheive at maximum capacity. A basic discharging of the cell does not address this event.

To stop or diminsh crystalline formation in the cell, refreshing or reconditioning of the cell is well-advised. So what does a refresh cycle involve? With Ansmann energy series battery chargers, the Ansmann technical engineers have designed a proprietary algorithim of charge and discharge cycles at numerous voltage values. When the cell is in need of refresh, this circuit occurs automatically and is undertaken on the cell right before recharging. By applying this type of charging process, you will notice a boost in power with your rechargeables as well as more life. Practically speaking, our assessment of this benefit, as well as those of our clients gives roughly a 20%-25% amplified life span of your cells. By way of illustration, let’s presume for your usage the batteries could in theory be recycled one thousand times. This would be under ideal conditions, with the use of a top-quality battery charger that refreshes the cells. Without the refresh option, your usage of the batteries could decrease down to seven hundred and fifty cycles instead. So, as an example, you use your batteries, in a wireless microphone, 2 times weekly. An addtional two hundred and fifty charge cycles might mean another 2-3 years of use before being forced to remove and replace them. That is a substantial savings – and really worth the few additional bucks you would spend choosing a battery charger that can refresh your batteries.

49 Responses to “Reasons Why It’s A Good Idea To Employ A Reconditioning Charger”

1. Devin says:

This article is full of very interesting information. I was not aware of the discharge process offered by some charges until I read your post. Basically that is just taking the battery all the way down to almost nothing before recharging it correct? Isn’t that what you are supposed to do with a rechargeable battery, such as the one in your cell phone? This was put together very well thank you.

2. Jane says:

What exactly is a Crystalline build up and what causes it? I have never noticed an increase in speed or anything like that right after I have charged my battery, does that mean that I possibly need a new one? I think I have had this battery for about six years now. Your article was very informative and I appreciate the information on discharges.

3. admin says:

In the case where a cell has been mistreated, typically through the use of a cheap charger that overcooks, crystal growth can build. This can be fixed through the refresh cycle. If a battery is dormant for a prolonged period, dendrite growth can occur which typically shorts the cell out. With refreshing, you can clear these dendrites out, but there will be a hole in the separator, where new dendrites will start to immediately form. The typical symptom you will notice is a high self discharge rate. Holes in the Separator can not be fixed through the refresh cycle.

4. Ralph says:

We are living in a pivotal time when everyone should do every little “green thing they can do to help the environment. I myself am shopping around for solar lights which I can use inside my house at night, either as a dim night light or a standard lamp. That would depend on how powerful the solar battery is on the lights I decide to buy. Now that I’ve been reminded by this article, I will also add rechargeable batteries to my shopping list.

5. Josephine says:

This was very interesting, I have learned more about batteries from your post than I ever really wanted to know, that is not a bad thing either, I just never really thought about batteries that much. Now I have a new found interest and there are things I will be looking up on-line to get answers to. I am a bit of a geek and this kind o thing intrigues me.

6. Arline says:

How long is the normal life span of a rechargeable battery for a camera? I have never noticed an increase in speed or anything like that right after I have charged the batteries and they are losing their charge really fast, does that mean that I possibly need new ones? I think I have had these batteries for about six years now. What is a really good brand to buy?

7. James says:

I am in search of some energy saving solutions for my house. I want to find some lights which I can use at night, not only to save electricity, but also to reduce the amount of heat that the standard 60 watt bulbs produce. I was thinking about buying the new LED lights which use only 6 watts, but I’m not sure if they actually produce less heat. Then I found this site and realized what could be better than re-chargeable battery powered lights.

8. Larry says:

I went surfing through the navigation links of this site hoping to find some lights powerful and broad enough in their light range to function as a lamp for the inside of the home. I think more people are beginning to search for solar or battery powered lamps which they can use at night in order to light their home in order to reduce the amount of their electric bill. So far, all I’ve seen is a sort of emergency flash light on sale on this site. I wonder if its light source is broad or focused like the spotlight of a typical flashlight.

9. Rodney says:

I like the flash lights in the mobile lights section of this web site. Not only are they bright and powerful LED lights, but they are also rechargeable…Am I correct in assuming that all products on this site use rechargeable batteries? I also like the sturdy and modern look of the body of these flash lights. They resemble military grade flash lights, but cost considerably less than what you get on some military supply web sites.

10. admin says:

All of our flashlights can be used with our Ansmann rechargeable batteries. We recommend the Max-E low discharge batteries for most applications.

11. Debra says:

This article makes a good case for getting the most out of your battery charger. I once bought a set of rechargeable AA batteries along with the recharger from a dollar store for you guessed it, one dollar. The life of these batteries was very short lived and became useless in less than a month. I know I should expect to get what I pay for, but I developed a stigma about rechargeable batteries and never again purchased any. This knowledge has shifted my thinking.

12. Larry says:

What is the life span of a rechargeable NiCad battery. My cell phone doesn’t seem to be holding a charge anymore, but I have had it for quite some time now so I am trying to decide if I need a new battery or a new phone. My phone is a pretty simple phone, do those smart phones have the same kind of battery in them?

13. Sally says:

I don’t suppose that there exists any discharge and recharge cycle for the nikel cadmium battery of my Hewlett Packard lap top computer. I wonder if the crystalline creation inside of the battery cell is the reason why lap top batteries tend to lose their life rather quickly. So now I’m wondering if there are any recharging solutions for lap top batteries. Is there a recharger and battery with a refreshing capability for notebook computers?

14. Teresa says:

I have a brother that actually collect flash lights and I happen to know that he does not have a rechargeable one like these. I have ordered one and as soon as we get it and he tries it out I will give you a shout back with his review. I know he will love it. If you have any more rechargeable items like this please do another post.

15. Billy says:

I was reading the other comments from your readers and noticed a lot of them looking for indoor solar lights or rechargeable lights. I was wondering if anyone had found any good ones so far, I would be really interested to know what brand and where they found them. I am also looking for solar camping equipment or lights for camping that use your rechargeable batteries as well.

16. Cora says:

I live in the South Florida area and although this year’s hurricane season has past, and Florida has not had a destructive hurricane in nine years now, you just never know when the next one will hit. The worse part about a hurricane is not the actual storm, but the after math when electricity and all of the creature comforts are no longer available. That is when you need battery powered products. Rechargeable battery lights are ideal for me to have on hand.

17. Jamie says:

Before I purchase any rechargeable batteries from this web site, I would like to know if all of the rechargers sold here use the refreshing cycle or does the inventory also consist of the rechargers which use the discharge / recharge method. Unless I misunderstood, recharging units which first drain batteries before recharging them are made specifically for nickel cadmium batteries. Do I need to look for or ask specifically for a Ansmann recharger or are all of the units on this site of this type?

18. Maria says:

I am a bit of a survivalist and I am always looking for things to add to my collection just in case the world goes crazy. I was wondering if you might have a solar battery charger? I already have a solar powered emergency radio flashlight combo but it takes batteries too, I just thought if there was a battery charger that runs on solar power that would be the ultimate.

19. Pedro says:

This blog was very informational and I have come to realize that I need some new batteries for my camera as well as my flashlights. It does no good to have these flashlights in my house for emergencies if the batteries are no good. Thank you for informing me of the discharge capabilities of your charger I never knew that you should do this for optimal performance.

20. admin says:

Only the Ansmann Energy 8+ and Energy 16 chargers offer the refresh /reconditioning function.

21. admin says:

We recommend the use of Max E low self discharge batteries for flashlights, since they maintain their charge in dormancy for about one year.

22. Amy says:

This goes out to the survivalist visitors to this blog. You are not alone. There are more people, like myself, out there who are preparing for an apocalyptic event(s). Some are more vigilant than others, but we all share one thing in common. We have the good sense not to rely on governments nor live our lives through rose colored glasses, but instead, we take heed to all of the warning signs which have become more alarming in recent years.

23. Lori says:

You put together some very helpful information in your blog and a lot of information I had no clue about. Thank you for your recommendations for what batteries to use and which charger has the reconditioning capabilities. I will be ordering some of those Max E batteries for all of my flashlights. You said they will last up to a year just setting dormant?

24. Marlys says:

Thank you for this blog, I never realized that reconditioning your batteries could make such a big difference. I am definitely going to look into getting one of these for myself. Can you find these anywhere or do I have to order it?

25. admin says:

Yes Lori, they will maintain about 90% off their original charge while dormant for a year. Typically, we recommend charging all rechargeable batteries at least every 6 months for maximum performance.

26. Anthony says:

If I understand this post correctly I don’t want to just discharge my rechargeable batteries because they will do nothing for the life of the battery, correct? I want to refresh or recondition them which will stop crystalline deposits and prolong the life of the battery as well as improve speed again. Can this reconditioning charger be picked up at any electronics store or do I have to order it on-line?

27. Cecil says:

People at the house where I live store batteries in the refrigerator. I was wondering if this actually helps preserve the life of regular or rechargeable batteries. Or is this simply a myth? I wonder if it makes any difference at all where you store batteries. And once I buy the rechargeable batteries and a reconditioning charging machine, is it ok to keep the batteries in the charger plugged in when I’m not using them?

28. admin says:

The refresh/reconditioning chargers are the Ansmann Energy 8+ and the Energy 16 and can be ordered online at HorizonBattery.com

29. admin says:

Keeping batteries in a refrigerator will slow the rate of discharge with standard rechargeables. With Max-E low self-discharge batteries, this is not relevant as they maintain charge at normal temperatures for up to a year. If you are using standard rechargeables on a frequent or weekly/monthly basis then it is best to just keep them on the Ansmann refresh charger in trickle charge mode.

30. Donald says:

I have been looking for these Max-E rechargeable batteries everywhere and can’t find them, is this something that I have to order? And what about the reconditioning / charger? I didn’t realize that the Ansmann had different settings on it, this is good to know because I do use them on a regular basis so if I can save the discharge level by setting it on trickle that will be great.

31. Vickie says:

Does International Battery happen to carry these Max E batteries or are they your competitor? I only ask because I have been looking for them everywhere and can’t find them, is this something that I have to order? I do use rechargeable batteries on a regular basis so I am going to have to invest in a Ansmann charger just for the trickle setting.

32. James says:

This was a very interesting and educational blog. I am not sure but I bet I am not alone when I say that you pointed out a lot of things that the average person is not going to know about batteries. You did an excellent hob with your blog and I am seriously considering ordering some of your batteries and a re-conditioner. Thank you for sharing all of this information.

33. Penny says:

The information on the crystalline build up in the cells was something I never thought about before, To be real honest I never even knew it existed until I read your blog. How long does it take for the build up to start and then get to the point the battery is no good anymore? It looks like I need to get a refresher or reconditioner, I appreciate the information.

34. Josefina says:

You obviously know a lot about batteries and you have put a lot of that information in your blog. I have learned a lot about refreshing batteries and recondioning them that I never knew before. I use a lot of rechargeable batteries in my household so I am really going to have to consider one of these. Thank you for the information , I am going to do some more shopping but I’ll be back.

35. Mark says:

I feel I should acknowledge the pink elephant in the room by mentioning that these rechargers, for all of their benefits with refresh cycles and the extended life they give to particular types of rechargeable batteries, are rather expensive. If you are willing to spend the money for rechargers lke the Ansmann series, you have to believe that you will recover your investment over the long term life of your rechargeable batteries and the usage you get from them.

36. Nicole says:

I was reading your comment about putting batteries in the refrigerator to slow the rate of discharge and you said that with the Max-E low self discharge batteries it isn’t relevant because they hold their charge in normal temperatures for up to a year. I was wondering though if you went ahead and put these in the refrigerator wouldn’t it slow it down even more and make them last even longer?

37. admin says:

THey would slow down the discharge rate, however, we recommend recharging batteries about every six months whether they were used or dormant

38. admin says:

The extra dollars you spend on an Ansmann refresh charger like the energy 16 will definitely show an ROI when you get 30% more charges per battery – plus better performance

39. admin says:

Penny – it varies with use but typically crystalline formation begins to develop during the first 3-6 months of usage and continues from there. The sooner a battery is refreshed, the better. That’s what makes the Ansmann chargers so valuable – they monitor each battery individually and refresh it as needed

40. Linda says:

I remember when rechargeable batteries first hit the market, I thought it was a great idea and that this would be the trend for a long time coming. Now we have this. What more could they possibly do with batteries and chargers and refreshers etc. I do believe that this one will take a little longer to take off then the rechargeable’s did in popularity simply because of that mentioned pink elephant.

41. Larry says:

This is a fairly new thing right? Do you foresee in the near future a price decrease with popularity increase? I was noticing all the comments about price so I thought I would throw that question out there as a little reassurance. As with most electronic gizmos I figure this will be the same and the cost will go down as the new wares off.

42. Stephen says:

The technical issues associated with the types of featured rechargers and rechargeable batteries are quite technical. I had to read the article and some of the comments three times before I began to get a grasp on the differences between Ansmann rechargers and standard chargers and batteries. Now, I just hope that I can actually feel like I am getting a return on my investment. The only way it will really feel that way is if the batteries continue to last for an extended period. At least a year.

43. Pablo says:

This is a very informative blog, I have never heard of the Max-E battery before or the reconditioning process that is really interesting. I love my rechargeable batteries especially the ones in my camera, but I am thinking this might be a better way to go, especially with the way you said they will hold their charge for up to a year. When I decide to order I’ll return.

44. John says:

I remember when I first got my cell phone they told me to charge it complexly before using it and to let it run all the way out before recharging it. Do you think that is advisable for any rechargeable battery? And why do they advise you to do that? I have always wondered that and would appreciate it a great deal if you could explain it to me.

45. Robert says:

I was reading your blog and found it very interesting but I was also looking at your accessories over on the left hand side of your blog and you have some pretty cool stuff. A friend of mine just had a baby so I am thinking about getting her that night light, very cool. The information you gave on the rechargers and reconditioners etc. was something I had never heard of before, very interesting stuff.

46. Cecelia says:

I am a very careful and selective buyer. So after reading all of the comments, especially the very informative feedback from the admin, his feedback has convinced me that investing in the Ansmann refresh charger(s) and the appropriate rechargeable batteries would be a worthwhile decision. I am environmentally conscious and I try to do every little thing I can do to save energy and also be prepared for emergency situations. I guess I am also a bit of a survivalist.

47. admin says:

Early cell phone batteries chemistry was Nickel Cadmium which was prone to memory effect. Since then, most cell phone manufacturers have moved to nickel metal hydride or lithium ion chemistry which do not require draining a battery completely down to avoid memory effect.

48. Arlie Mcray says:

Nice post. I be taught one thing tougher on totally different blogs everyday. It will at all times be stimulating to learn content from different writers and apply slightly something from their store. I’d favor to use some with the content material on my weblog whether or not you don’t mind. Natually I’ll provide you with a hyperlink in your net blog. Thanks for sharing.